GIVE SEND GOING NOWHERE
Written by Peter Boykin on February 13, 2022
Shared By Peter Boykin – American Political Commentator / Citizen Journalist
Christian crowdfunding website, GiveSendGo says they will refuse to comply with the orders of an Ontario court, which ordered them to freeze the more than $8 million dollars that have been raised for the Canadian Freedom Convoy of truckers.
Initially, the Freedom Convoy crowdfunding was done on GoFundMe, but the left-wing tech company shut down the effort after it raised $10 million dollars.
First, move: This all started when the Canadian government effectively made it illegal to donate to the truckers. They brought order to the Superior Court “prohibiting any person from disposing of, or otherwise dealing with, in any manner whatsoever, any and all monetary donations made through the Freedom Convoy 2022.” And the order was issued.
In response, GiveSendGo tweeted:
“Know this! Canada has absolutely ZERO jurisdiction over how we manage our funds here at GiveSendGo. All funds for EVERY campaign on GiveSendGo flow directly to the recipients of those campaigns, not least of which is The Freedom Convoy campaign.”
Know this! Canada has absolutely ZERO jurisdiction over how we manage our funds here at GiveSendGo. All funds for EVERY campaign on GiveSendGo flow directly to the recipients of those campaigns, not least of which is The Freedom Convoy campaign.
— GiveSendGo (@GiveSendGo) February 11, 2022
They basically told the Canadian government to kiss their maple leaf.
A Follow up to this was printed by the epoch times,
Court Freezes $8 Million for Freedom Convoy Raised on GiveSendGo
GiveSendGo says Canada has ‘ZERO jurisdiction’
The government of the province of Ontario in Canada successfully sought a court order to freeze over US$8 million in funds made to the Freedom Convoy on the GiveSendGo platform.
The Ontario Superior Court of Justice ordered that all donations made through the “Freedom Convoy 2022” and “Adopt a trucker” campaigns on the Christian fundraising platform be frozen until further notice, according to a statement from Premier Doug Ford’s office.
The statement said Ontario Attorney General Doug Downey brought the application for the restraint order, in which 490.8 of the Criminal Code was cited as grounds to freeze the funds. The section reads, in part: “The Attorney General may make an application … for a restraint order … in respect of any offense-related property.”
Ivana Yelich, the spokesperson for the premier, said the order “binds any and all parties with possession or control over these donations.”
In a statement on Twitter, GiveSendGo wrote in an apparent response to the court order, “Know this! Canada has absolutely ZERO jurisdiction over how we manage our funds here at GiveSendGo.”
It adds, “All funds for EVERY campaign on GiveSendGo flow directly to the recipients of those campaigns, not least of which is The Freedom Convoy campaign.”
John Carpay, president of the legal group Justice Centre for Constitutional Freedoms, which is providing legal help to the Freedom Convoy organizers, told The Epoch Times that their lawyers are looking into the issue.
The protest started in late January as a demonstration by truckers against the federal government’s requirement for cross-border truck drivers to be vaccinated but has since evolved into a large movement joined by people from across Canada to oppose different COVID-19 mandates and restrictions.
Vehicle convoys came to Ottawa on Jan. 29, and many have stayed in the city, with trucks and other vehicles parked by Parliament Hill. Since then, various protest convoys have been set up in different parts of Canada.
Protesters in Ottawa say they won’t leave until the government lifts COVID-19 mandates.
More than US$10 million had been raised through GoFundMe before the platform said on Feb. 4 it would stop payments and forward the money to charities instead, before changing course on Feb. 5 and announcing it would automatically reimburse the funds to donors.
Following the GoFundMe announcements, protest convoy organizers set up the “Freedom Convoy 2022” fundraiser on GiveSendGo.
Several U.S. Republicans subsequently raised concerns about GoFundMe’s removal of the funds for the trucker protest.
The Canadian Press contributed to this report.
[Source: Post Millennial, EpochTimes, Waking Up Right Newsletter]
Each Month GoRightNews Spends Hundreds of Dollars and Hours To Run This Site and Podcast, with no sponsors or ads this comes out of our pockets, if you like what you see consider donating to the podcast. Thanks!
#GoRight with Peter R Boykin
Peter Boykin For United States Congress
Join Peter Boykin on Telegram
Join Peter Boykin on Facebook
Join Peter Boykin on GAB
Support The Podcast and Website
To Donate to the Podcast (NOT THE CAMPAIGN)